Friday, January 04, 2008

Point and Shoot Adventures: Monterey Bay.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The crosswalk where Mr. Chamberlain committed accidental suicide.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The trees on this street were so angry they broke the sidewalk, a protest my brother and I celebrated by jumping with our bikes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Spazier Ave.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was one of my first sacred spaces. Today it is the only nonfunctional (headless) lamppost on Spazier.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Shrubbery.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I visited my old high school.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Visited an old friend.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My studio for the week.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The more a hang out with my mother the more I realize that the only things nice, or good, or attractive about me are really just projections of her.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

There are many different ways I could attempt to describe what it is like to be from a place like Monterey Bay. But my point of view is just as much that of an outsiders as any other tourist. It is my hometown, but I don’t have the “be true to your school”…Texas…mark that others might. All that sort of enthusiasm or sense of place has been washed over by the fact that every street in that town is ridden with memory, every avenue a bad dream. My childhood was fine. My parents loved and read to me. There were maybe a pair of tragedies in my life that occurred while in Monterey. But they were enough, and I suppose it would be their names I’d call on whenever I questioned just what it was that packed my bags, or closed my Bible, or changed the locks at my fathers house.

1 comment:

lauren mcconnablah said...

there are so many mysteries in growing up